Top Clean Eating Breakfast Foods for Busy People Who Want to Eat Clean!
It has been an incredibly busy and interesting 2 weeks – we celebrated Memorial Day, Hunter graduated from high school and left at 4:00 a.m. this morning for a ten-day trip through the mountains of North Carolina with friends. As always, Memorial weekend and graduation revolved around family and food and I found it difficult to stick to my plan. I lost another 3 pounds but there’s a lot on my calendar the next few weeks and ‘too busy to eat healthy’ isn’t an excuse! So I began formulating a list of our Top 100 Clean Eating prepared foods for those times when we are too busy to cook. Today’s list includes our Top Clean Eating Breakfast Foods.
Using recipes we tried, new ones we will try and my growing list of our favorite 100 clean eating prepared foods I will eat clean and tasty too! Those amazing Sweet Potato Waffles with Spinach and Poached Egg from Clean Eating Magazine were incredible but difficulty rises when we don’t have time to cook. Our standard was pasta, Caesar salad and garlic bread. But I can’t do that anymore, so I began learning my local Whole Foods market.
Do you remember the first time you stepped into a Whole Foods or organic market, were you overwhelmed by the choices? I was confused as I roamed, reading label after label not recognizing anything, wondering if it tasted good, searching for something familiar. And if I made a mistake it was going to be an expensive mistake!
Hello, Whole Foods, you need, ‘food guides’, ‘concierges’, or ‘food ambassadors’ for us newbies!
On our first trip we checked out with flaxseed snacks and two bottles of something to drink. Hunter loved his, mine tasted like something from the sewer. Seriously, it reeked, I drank it out of sheer stubbornness, not wanting to pour it out! We bought blindly at first, then after reading reviews and through trial and error we began formulating a list of quick, easy clean eating foods we really like.
Over the next few weeks I will share our Top 100 Clean Eating Foods grocery list beginning here with:
#1 – #17 BREAKFAST
I’ve included links for each product so you can read about the company’s commitment to provide clean, healthy food for busy people. To read more click the links!
- Earthbound Farms Kickstart Frozen Organic Smoothies, I love the Mango Carrot!
- Scratch made Quest Bars are great on the go! And they have Mint Chocolate!
- Amy’s Products are consistently good, especially their Veggie Sausage Links.
- I was a peanut butter addict and picky, picky, I substituted a non-GMO Sunflower Seed Butter sweetened with honey made by Wild Friends.
- I also like the Cinnamon Nut Butter by Steve’s, its Paleo, containing raw almonds, pecans, walnuts ,shredded coconut, raw sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds with coconut oil, honey and cinnamon. I can only eat a little of it but it is a great treat!
- Once Again Creamy Raw Almond Butter is unsweetened, organic, salt free and really yummy!
- Eden Foods Concord Grape Butter is my substitute for Jams and Jellies – the flavor in this grape butter is amazing! I especially like it with cream cheese, we like the one below!
- Green Valley Lactose Free Cream Cheese, it won the 2015 Clean Choice Award from Clean Eating Magazine.
- No time to make the Sweet potato Waffle? Good News!! Ezekiel is now making waffles, a Sprouted Grain Waffle!
- If you want that sweet potato taste and have a little more time try Zema’s Sweet Potato Pancake and Waffle Quick Mix. They are Ok in a time pinch but do not compare to the grated sweet potato recipe.
- I loved Cheerios but read about the GMO possibility so I substitute Power O’s by Love Grown Foods. If you have not Stumbled On to this amazing family and their products you are missing out! ALL of their cereals are awesome! Check out Love Grown Foods and their blog here!
- With unsweetened coconut or almond milk Perfect Snaque’s Cinnamon Apple Quinoa Crunch is really good. I have even eaten it as a snack straight out of the bag.
- Larabar’s Renola’s are great on the go! They are like a granola bar ‘on the loose’. Grain and gluten-free its a bag of berry goodness!
- There are several great choices for sprouted grain cereals, I have several favorites, I recommend Food For Life’s Whole Grain , and Arrowhead’s Multigrain.
- To curb my donut and biscuit carb craving I buy Ozery’s Morning Rounds. They are like a biscuit, can be toasted and are delicious, fruity and whole grain.
- My kids lived on Instant Oatmeal growing up, it was Bill’s go-to easy breakfast. Better educated we buy Dr. McDougall’s Organic Cereal Big Cups, we like the Apple Flax, there are several to choose from:
- My go to favorite is yogurt with fruit and a granola or chia – Cascadian Farms carries frozen organic fruits, Fage Total Classic won the 2013 clean-eating award for yogurt, for granola we go with Purely Elizabeth’s Pumpkin Fig or Blueberry Hemp
My amazing friend and Ultimate Food Coach Liz Kieffer will no doubt shudder when she reads this list because many of the products we listed have too many carbs (sugars) vs. fiber in them for her liking and I know if I planned better and prepared meals on the weekends for use during the week I would not need this list!
The sugar beast is something I will tame later and we will get the hang of preparing ahead! Bill and I spent the past 30 years at the end of the day answering the question, “What do you want for dinner?” Old habits die-hard, this has to be a gradual change or I know I won’t stick with it. But I have faith I will get there! In the meantime I hope our lists help you avoid un-tasty mistakes and guides you to healthy goodness that feeds both body and soul.
I look forward to sharing our Lunch, Dinner, Beverage and Snack lists as we work towards finishing our 100 Top Clean Eating Food List.
Don’t forget to sign up as a V.I.P. to stay in touch!
With a smile a lighter Carlyn with Hunter at graduation!