Go Ahead and Play With Your Food!
This super soft and easy to make creamy chocolate butterscotch recipe is a family favorite at the holidays. The original recipe from Disney Family was for Mint-Chocolate Bark but I did not have any Mint Morsels, so the first time I made this I used Nestle’s Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels and Nestle’s Peanut Butter Morsels. Basically, if there is a morsel, there is a way!
Just think of the possible combos!! Nestle’s even has a new Pumpkin Spice morsel that I can’t wait to play with! You can do it, go ahead have fun, what’s in the pantry right now? This takes 6 minutes to make using the microwave then chills for 40 minutes. Get creative and treat yourself!
Easy to Make Creme de la Creme Chocolate Butterscotch Bark
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels from Toll-House
- 1 cup butterscotch morsels from Toll-House
- 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon Crisco shortening
- 1 cup crushed or chopped walnut pieces
- Start by lining a cookie sheet or baking pan with waxed paper, set it aside.
- I melted my chocolate and butterscotch morsels separately in the microwave.
- The chocolate melts in approximately 1 minute, they retain their shape, but they are melted! Stir after 1 minute to check, if they need a few seconds more microwave additionally in 10 second intervals till soft and creamy. .
- Spread the chocolate on the wax paper with the back of your spoon to approx. ¼ inch thick setting it aside while you melt the butterscotch.
- The butterscotch morsels do not melt like the chocolate. I melted mine for two minutes in a ceramic bowl in the microwave, removed it adding Crisco sparingly, stirring until it was smooth. The more Crisco you add the softer your bark will be.
- Scoop the hot butterscotch on top of the chocolate spreading to cover the chocolate.
- The hot butterscotch will re-melt the chocolate so no worries about it hardening while you are melting the butterscotch!
- Take a blunt knife and swirl through the chocolate and butterscotch to create swirls being careful to not thoroughly mix the two.
- Top with your favorite nuts. I used roasted walnuts, dropping them on the top of the chocolate butterscotch bark while the mixture was warm.
- Refrigerate until firm for a minimum of 40 minutes. Lift from the pan, peel the wax paper off the bottom and break into pieces. Once room temperature it will be too soft to break so be sure to crack it while cold. Place the pieces on a pretty dish, drop any left-over nuts that fell off on top and enjoy!!
Nuts or No Nuts, how many nuts do you have in your house right now?
Feel free to use the nuts you like best, I used salted peanuts on the Choco-Peanut bark and none on the Mint-Choco bark. If you do use nuts you need to sprinkle them on while the mixture is warm right after and during swirling.
My favorite part is the swirling, well..no, I take that back, it’s eating them!
I look forward to hearing from you! What did you create with this super-easy bark recipe?
With a smile, Carlyn 🙂